Monday 2 April 2012

Recipe: Daim Cookies

I love cookies. I mean, who doesn't? They're easy to make, the dough is quite delish (I know people warn against eating raw cookie dough but that only applies if you have eggs in it - butter, sugar and flour are all quite harmless to eat as-is) and you can make an infinite number of variations on them.

These I made a while back when I had some Daim in the house. I'd call them 'milk chocolate cookies' because I took it a little easy with the cocoa and they turned out quite great, but the dough... OMG, the dough! I'm warning you; try it and you may end up without cookies!

Now you may ask - what is vintage-y about Daim? Well, this delish chocolate bar was actually first introduced in Sweden and Norway already in 1953, even though it didn't go global until much later, so these are perfectly appropriate for your 50s kitchen!


Ingredients

200 g butter (at room temperature and cut into small pieces)
4 1/2 deciliter flour
1 deciliter sugar
1 tsp vanilla sugar
1 tbsp cocoa
As much Dajm as you like, chopped.


How to

Mix all the ingredients until you have smooth cookie dough. Form into rolls and cut into slices (you might want to put the rolls for a while in the fridge before cutting as that makes it easier - you can even make the dough in advance and bake a little at a time, since it'll keep for a day or so).

Bake for app 15 minutes in 175°C

Good luck!

3 comments:

  1. I L-O-V-E Daim! I haven't seen it at all in the US, not even at Ikea -I used to be able to buy the 500g packs at German Ikea's- or the little stores around here that sell European products. I need to find me some Daim and try out this recipe, it sounds delicious! So thank you for sharing it with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? A world without Daim is a sad one (we used to spell it Dajm, which is the Swedish pronounciation of 'dime'). I thought they had them at IKEA everywhere. I do know you can get Daim bars from Amazon.com but I think they're rather ridiculously expensive...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to make these so much, and I'm on a diet. :( I mentioned this blog on my latest blog post!

    ReplyDelete