Thursday 5 April 2012

How To Successfully: Make Your Own Furniture Polish


 I'm an eco nerd and if there is a DIY version of almost anything, I'll prefer making it myself out of ingredients I recognise rather than buying some industrially produced version full of things you probably shouldn't eat.

Furniture polish is one of those things. The store-bought variety smells really funky, like gasoline, and it's rather expensive. Since I use polish on my furniture quite often (I love that shine and depth of colour it gives), I was happy to figure out a really good DIY-alternative that is both cheap and, in my opinion, more effective than the store-bought kind.


It's really, really simple. You need:

- olive oil
- lemon juice

Odds are you already have those ingredients at home. All you have to do is mix one part lemon juice with two parts olive oil and shake like crazy and - voilà! Polish! Just apply it with a rag and after-polish with a piece of fabric or clean rag.

Easy, right? If you make a double batch, you can actually use the left-overs on your salad!

2 comments:

  1. Do you think I could use concentrated lemon juice as well? I never know if that stuff might not be too aggressive. But one of my dressers needs a polishing pretty badly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean on bottle? I've done that plenty of times. If it's more concentrated, just change it to maybe 1 part juice to 4 parts olive oil - or even more oil. You can also use a splash of vinegar - I use apple cider vinegar - instead of lemon juice (but it doesn't smell as nice).

    Either way, the blend should be about the same as for a salad dressing, if that helps?

    ReplyDelete